Recipe by nanpie
My husband says these are the best peanut butter cookies he's ever had...including his mom's! The recipe originally came from www.crisco.com. I "made it my own" by using Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter(has to be stirred initially and stored in the refrigerator), butter flavored Crisco and whole wheat flour. Creamy vs chunky peanut butter is your choice.
Top Review by Acerast
This is a great cookie for those who are trying to eat more wholesome foods. The combination of natural peanut butter and whole wheat gives it a unique, nutty flavor and added texture. My children were not as enthusiastic about these as some of the more sugary cookies that I have made but I may substitute some unbleached flour for the whole wheat for awhile until I get their palates accustomed to the earthy taste of whole grains ;) Thanks nanpie for helping me with my goal of healthier eating. Made for PAC Fall '09.
- 3⁄4 cup smucker's natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Add first 5 ingredients to large mixing bowl and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and mix just until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix on low just until combined, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then mix on medium 30 more seconds or until all flour is combined. Do not overbeat.
- Scoop batter and form into roughly 1" balls. Place 2" apart on non-stick cookie sheet.
- Using the tines of a fork, flatten each ball slightly in a crisscross pattern.
- Bake 7-8 minutes in 375 degree oven.
- Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.