Top Review by Sudie
Thank you Dancer! My DH needs to lower his cholesterol and can't abide cooked cereal. I think you might have given me a solution with these bars! The whole family loved them. Great with a cup of tea, or on the run for a quick breakfast!
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup apple butter or 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup diced dried mixed fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together sugars and margarine until well blended.
- Add apple butter, egg whites, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well.
- Stir in oats and raisins; mix well (Dough will be moist).
- Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Store tightly covered.