Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this out of a Betty Crocker recipe booklet. Changed a few things though. Very yummy, sweet, will need a cup of coffee or glass of milk with this treat.
- Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, with shortening.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and maple syrup; heat to boiling.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until mixture is smooth.
- Stir remaining ingredients into peanut butter mixture, mixing well. Press evenly in pan.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
These are really good! I made some substitutions because my pantry was limited. I only had creamy peanut butter (worked fine) and I used 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup corn syrup in place of the maple syrup. I'll be looking for a way to make these a little less sweet next time. Just reducing the amount might work fine. I also used old-fashioned oats (worked fine) and instead of graham cracker crumbs, I crushed up a cup of Crispix cereal. This was probably the best part of the recipe--next time I'll add even more for more crunch. I also omitted the raisins. I'm just not a fan. We were hungry, so I tossed them in the freezer for 30 minutes, and out came what my husband proclaimed is his new favorite snack. They are just a little too sweet to eat much of. Thanks for sharing!