Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a modified version of the chewy oatmeal raisin cookies from Nick Malgieri's book, Perfect Light Desserts.
- 236.59 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml Smart Balance light butter spread
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 59.14 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 314.66 ml rolled oats
- 59.14 ml walnuts
- 118.29 ml dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and set the rack on the lower and upper thirds of the oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the Smart Balance and granulated sugar until smooth. Mix in the brown sugar, then the egg, egg white, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, then the oats, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on the baking sheets and use a fork to gently flatten the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Rotate baking sheets during baking for even heating.
- Storage: Once cool, store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.