Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummy Oatmeal cookies that stay soft and chewy.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (softened)
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups oats, uncooked
- 1 cup raisins
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into bowl. Add shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop by heating teaspoon onto greased sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
This recipe was a distaster! My husband wanted me to try a new recipe for chewy oatmeal cookies so I picked this one. Big mistake! The first two batches were unedible and I had to scrape them off the cookie sheet they were so super thin and gooey. They resembled lace cookies more than chewy oatmeal cookies. By the third batch I had finally managed to add more flour to the recipe (almost doubling the original amount called for)and at least salvaged a few cookies. The cookies were still not chewy though. Very disappointing. I would encourage you to keep looking if you want a true thick, chewy cookie! The taste was fine but the consistency was way off from the description!
very good recipe. I used whole wheat flour and added 1/4 tsp of baking soda. It came out delicious yummy and soft, the whole family loved it