Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother used to make these at Christmas every year. After dusting them with powdered sugar she would pipe N-O-E-L in green icing on the tops of each one.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Melt the butter in a 7x11 inch baking dish, and tilt the pan to coat all of the sides; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, and baking soda.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla until smooth, then stir in the walnuts. Pour over the melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Cool, then cut into squares, and dust with confectioners sugar.
great cookie double it is what darlene says lol
I'm thrilled to see this recipe here. For many years Chewy Noels have been a Christmas tradition at our house. They're easy to make but be careful not to overbake or they get hard. They need to be turned out of the pan immediately upon taking them out of the oven or they have a tendency to stick. The last few times I've made them, I've sprayed the baking pan with a vegetable spray before putting in the melted butter and seem to have no trouble turning them out of the pan now. What a great idea to pipe NOEL in green icing. I may do that next Christmas.