Recipe by Darlene Summers
Chewy, pie that separates into a macaroon crust and creamy filling.
Top Review by 1TexasLizard
My husband loves coconut and thoroughly enjoyed the richness of this pie. I used a frozen pie crust, following the directions, and became concerned about 20 minutes into the baking time because the top was already quite brown - but I hung in there and let it go the full 30 and it came out great. To satisfy my desire for chocolate I sprinkled mini M&Ms on top before baking and they were a nice addition to the texture and looked quite festive. Will definitely be making again very soon!
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven TO 375°.
- Beat egg yolks and salt together.
- Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until blended.
- Beat in milk, butter, lemon juice and almond extract.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold beaten egg whites and coconut into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour filling into pie crust shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted near rim comes out clean.
- A mouthwatering pie for coconut lovers that separates into a macaroon crust and creamy filling as it bakes.