Lise in Indiana's Note:
Customize the fruit and nuts to suit your tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 395.10 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 29.58 ml corn syrup
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar (to taste)
- 78.07 ml oat flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon (optional)
- 473.18-709.77 ml dried fruit, and nuts*
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 59.14 ml melted butter or 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml honey, maple syrup or 59.14 ml corn syrup
- 14.79 ml water
- 1If you don't have oat flour, use 1/3 cup quick oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender.
- 2For the dried fruit and nuts, try 1/2 cup each dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, and coconut. Walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries or apples, or even chocolate chips would all be delicious as well.
- 3Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- 4Stir together first 8 ingredients, up to the fruit and nuts.
- 5In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter or oil, syrup or honey, and water.
- 6Toss the wet ingredients with the dry until the mixture is evenly crumbly.
- 7Spread in the prepared pan, shaking the pan to evenly cover the bottom and patting down gently.
- 8Bake the bars for 25 to 30 minutes, until they're golden brown around the edges.
- 9Remove them from the oven, loosen the edges, and cool for 5 minutes.
- 10Use a knife (or bench knife) to cut the bars while they're still warm in the pan. Carefully remove warm bars from the pan, and cool on a rack.
- 11Alternatively, remove from the pan before cutting into bars; it helps to cut in half first, then loosen the bottom of each half with a turner/spatula before turning out onto a sheet of parchment to cut into bars.
- 12Wrap bars individually to store; or place in a single layer on a plate, and cover with plastic; or store in layers with parchment in between. In humid weather, it's best to store bars in the refrigerator. They also freeze well.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chewy Granola Bars
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 138.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 23.5 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: