Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I "borrowed" this recipe from the kitchen at my college because I fell in love with these bars. They are so much better than store-bought, and you can add or subtract ingredients as you wish. They make a perfect on-the-go snack; a much healthier alternative to chips or cookies, especially for kids (Great for lunch boxes!)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease or spray 9 x 13 pan.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, sugar, and butter until light and fluffy.
- Blend in honey, vanilla and egg.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture gradually to sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- By hand, stir in almonds, chocolate chips and oats until well mixed.
- Press mixture firmly in bottom of greased pan, and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Cool and cut into squares.
This is a most excellent recipe. My family said they were better than any granola bar from a store! Very easy to make. You could do it with your kids if you have some. Note: I cut the sugar to 1 cup and used organic, I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of white, used only half the chocolate chips and replaced the other half with coconut. Nevertheless! Chewy, moist, and flavorful and very sweet! A big must if you're looking for that granola bar! Thanks!
This was fantastic. I made a few changes to make it a bit more healthy. I reduced the sugar to 3/4c of brown sugar, added only a tbsp of honey, 1/2 c of chocolate chips, used whole wheat flour, and instead of rice crispies I used the Original Fiber One cereal. Cooked for only 17 minutes. They're great!
This recipe is fabulous. My husband gobbled up the bars that I made for the kids!