Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
These cookies are what Christmas tastes like! This recipe makes a fairly big batch, which is perfect for sharing with friends and guests. If you like thick chewy cookies, it will make about 48. If you like them smaller or thin, it would be most practical to make a half batch, or you'll be cutting out cookies for the whole day! The prep time listed is approximate because the time involved is proportionate to the size of your cookies. You can also prepare the dough ahead of time, freeze it, then bake them later.
- Place margarine in large mixing bowl; soften it in a microwave for a few seconds.
- Cream sugar and margarine; add molasses and water.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Add to the mixing bowl; mix together.
- Let dough cool, covered, in freezer for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out dough; cut out with cookie cutters.
- If the cookies are thin, bake for 6 minutes.
- If cookies are thick, bake for 8 minutes.
- Cookies will appear slightly underbaked but that's what makes them taste so good and chewy!
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- These cookies stand their own without frosting, but if you want to frost them, mix a cup of powdered sugar with a little water to make frosting. Draw a few accent lines or dots on the cookies.
These cookies were delicious!!! They were very easy to make and my family loved them.