Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Cook's Illustrated published May 2000. This recipe makes a heck of a good brownie! These are very rich and decadent, it is best to cut them in small, 1 inch squares.
- 141.74 g semisweet chocolate or 141.74 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 56.69 g unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, cut into quarters (1 stick)
- 44.37 ml cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 295.73 ml granulated sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 236.59 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350°F Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Fold two 12-inch pieces of foil lengthwise so that they measure 7 inches wide. Fit one sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; overhang will help in removal of baked brownies. Following illustration 1 below, fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour with wooden spoon until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan using foil handles (see illustration 2, below).
- Cut into 1-inch squares and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve; brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.).