Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from http://yourownhomestore.com.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup hot water (not boiling)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Add the hot (but not boiling) water, yeast and sugar to your mixer.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast is completely dissolved.
- Add the oil, salt and flour to yeast mixture.
- Turn mixture on low and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Increase speed to medium and leave running for 5-7 minutes until you have a very smooth dough. You made need to add a little flour. Dough should just barely start to pull off the sides of the mixer.
- Coat your hands and a large bowl with a bit of olive oil. Remove the dough from the mixer and place into the bowl. Cover with a moist towel and let rise until double (about 45 min to just over an hour depending on your home).
- Divide the dough into 12 balls.
- Using your hands, gently flatten each ball into a disk.
- Place the first disk on a floured surface and roll from the center out until about 10-12 inches in diameter.
- Warm a cast iron skillet or electric griddle over high heat. Once pan is very hot, drizzle a little olive oil in the pan and then wipe off the excess.
- Lay a rolled-out tortilla on the skillet and bake for 30 seconds, until you see bubbles starting to form.
- Flip and cook for 30-60 seconds on the other side, until large toasted spots appear on the underside. Flip again and cook another 15-30 seconds to toast the first side.
- The tortilla should start to puff up during this time; if it doesn't or if only small pockets form, try pressing the surface of the tortilla gently with a spatula or clean towel.