Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
Deliciously chewy and gingery! I love this--it's like ginger snaps but chewier :P
Top Review by Seilduksgata
I managed to make a nice version of gingerbread from this recipe but I did that by deviating from the original recipe a lot. I only used one egg and added 150 water, used 2tsp ginger, doubled the baking soda and used only 400ml instead of 500ml of flour. With that many alterations, plus the fact that this was a dense gingerbread and not chewy at all, I only gave the recipe 3 stars.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).Grease 13-x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan; line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In bowl, whisk sugar, molasses, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; stir into butter mixture until combined.
- Stir in crystallized ginger, scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 45 minutes.