Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love this cookie! From Pillsbury's Bakeoff Cookie book.
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup sugar (plus more for coating)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- Combine everything except cranberry sauce. Blend well.
- Stir in cranberries, mixing thoroughly.
- Chill dough at least one hour.
- Shape into balls. Coat with additional sugar. Put on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 min; watch them because time will depend on the size. Recipe calls for a "rounded teaspoon". I usually make my cookies bigger than that.
- When done, remove from cookie sheet immediately.
Definitely had to make these at the last minute for a cookie/candy bake sale I had over the last 2 days, & your cookies were A GREAT SUCCESS! I could hardly sack them up fast enough! I loved (as did others!) the nice combo of cranberry & ginger! Thanks so much for a recipe that I'll be making again, especially during the winter holidays! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
These smell wonderful and taste great, but do not sub butter for shortening! Even though my dough was very well-chilled, they ran like crazy, off my pans and into the oven. It was my sub that did it, not the fault of the recipe at all. If I used butter again, I'd reduce to 1/2 cup. We all picked at and enjoyed the cookie remains. Not overly spicy, love the flavor from the cranberry sauce. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
I made these for PAC and they turned out GREAT!!! While they were baking my kids kept coming up saying something smells so good....I knew that was a good sign! I only let the first batch chill for about an hour so they were still a little sticky while I was shaping them into the balls but the cookie turned out perfectly! Exactly the kind of cookie I love! The spices blend very well together and the addition of the cranberry sauce makes them even better. I will be making these again!