Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Everyone loves this, kids to adults.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (your favorite)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Preheat in 350 degree oven.
- Cream butter and 1/4 cup sugar till light and fluffy.
- Stir in 1/2 cup flour.
- Put in greased 8 X 8"pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- (You may have to press it out to a thin layer.) Meanwhile, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbsps.
- flour, salt, vanilla, egg, nuts and coconut.
- Spread evenly over baked dough.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or till golden.
- While warm, cut into squares.
Editing to say that I used two eggs, since the coconut/nut mixture seemed too stiff--worked very well.
super tasty! I will make them again but next time I will double the topping because it was very thin. It had a fantastic flavor I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.thanks
very nice dessert. i am very poor at baking and nothing ever comes out but even though i probably botched this recipe they were still very good. i followed recipe but i think i over melted the butter before creaming and that made the base, or crust of the squares too buttery. the coconut layer was excellent and next time i will double that part of it to make that layer higher. thanks for sharing the delish recipe.