Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
These cookies receives rave reviews from anyone who tries them! No one can tell why they are so chewy and delicious...the secret is in the Rollo! These are chocolatey, chewy, rich and addictive...and they look great too!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (reserve 1/4 c.)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder (I prefer Dutch process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 40 individual Rolo chocolates (I find these work best)
- In bowl, beat butter and both sugars until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda. Stir in sugar and egg mixture until it becomes soft dough. Let sit for ½ hour in fridge if possible.
- Place remaining sugar on plate.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- Place one tablespoon of dough in palm of hand. Press into flat circle and place one Rollo in centre. Bring up sides of dough to cover Rollo completely. Roll between palms to make a ball. Roll ball in sugar until covered.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes in 350 degrees oven or until tops are cracked and firm.
- *** You may need to play with the exact temperature - they key is to make sure they do not brown on the bottom, so check and adjust after the first batch. I've also found that they come out a bit better if they are cooked in single batches.
- Let sit on baking sheet 3-4 minutes before removing to rack.