Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Being a chocoholic, I crammed as much chocolate as I could into these cookies. I submitted them to a contest, but obviously the judges were not chocoholics like me because the cookies did not win. Nevertheless, I think they are winners :>)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets without sides with parchment paper.
- Melt 1 cup (6 oz.) of the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water being careful not to get any steam in the chocolate. Or melt chocolate in the microwave, following the manufacturer's directions. Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add salt and sugar while continuing to beat. Beat until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla and vinegar. Fold in the melted chocolate which has cooled, the chopped pecans and remaining chocolate chips. Do not worry about any white streaks which remain as these add visual interest.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. These cookies do not spread, so you may space them rather closely together. Bake 10-12 minutes in preheated oven until crunchy and dry outside but still soft and chewy inside. Remove immediately.