Prep 3 hrs
Cook 10 mins
From Martha Stewart
Make and share this Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer,fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325°F
- Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Mmmmm...a glass of milk with these is mandatory. Soo good. I thought they were perfect without the last step of rolling in sugar. I rolled a couple in sugar but thought them too sweet. The rest I made plain and they were the best! These cookies definitely are chewy and spread out on the pan. Interesting there is no egg in this recipe but it didn't need it. [Made for Best of 2012 Tag Game]
delicious, not too sweet
I want more....I want more.....I want more.....