From Martha Stewart
Make and share this Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer,fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325°F
- Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.