Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
We've been making these chewy morsels since I was a kid. They cool to a very flat cookie that looks like it should be crisp, but isn't. I really don't think you should use anything but butter, but that's just my opinion! You can add 1 cup of chopped walnuts if you'd like, too.
- 1 1⁄4 cups soft butter or 1 1⁄4 cups margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla, blend well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; blend into creamed mixture.
- Drop by teaspoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes.
- (DO NOT OVERBAKE! Cookies will be soft. They will puff during baking and flatten upon cooling.) Cool on cookie sheet until set, about 1 minute.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies were GROSS. I don't know why but mine turned out NOTHING like the picture or description. I used margarine because I didn't have butter but everything else I followed EXACTLY. The dough was very dry and the cookies were like powder when cooked. I kept lessening the time until I was only cooking them 3 minutes and they were STILL dried out. It was like eating plain cocoa and flour. They never puffed or flattened either so I have NO idea what happened. Very disappointing.
The best cookie. My family love these! All my kids' friends ask if I've made these great chewy chocolate cookies when they come over. I've passed this recipe on to my mom and brother who both love it, too. Thanks
My 6 year old daughter and I made these tonight the only thing we did different added white & semi-sweet chips to the batter. They were sooooo good and chewy and yummy - she usually only likes store bought cookies (weird kid - gets it from her fathers side of the family) but tonight before bed she requested the ones we made to dunk in her milk...surprize surprize - she actually ate them and didn't ask for her usual store bought favorites!!