Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Make certain that the egg whites are room temperature before beating.
Top Review by mrsmeduck
I got this same recipe from an aunt of mine who always made these whenever we had family gatherings. It's one of my favorites because I don't have to spend the time making dough balls to have chocolate chip cookies. It's quick and easy and so yummy. I use vanilla extract instead of maple, and I put my nuts into the dough like the chocolate chips.
- 1 cup butter, softened (or use half butter and half margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon maple extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional or to taste)
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (can use more or less) or 1 cup pecans (can use more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl cream together butter with sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Add in water, maple extract and 2 egg yolks (reserve the whites in another bowl) beat for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and cinnamon (if using) then add to the creamed mixture; mix until combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then add in in 1/2 cup brown sugar; blend well.
- Spread the egg white mixture over the top of the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the meringue is light brown.
- Cut the bars while still hot.