Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Buttery-rich, creamy, dreamy..divine caramels. Do not make these on a damp day as they may not set up properly.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups light corn syrup
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Lightly butter the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking pan.
- Line the pan with foil, pressing it evenly into the corners.
- Lightly butter the foil.
- Butter the sides of a heavy, 4-quart saucepan.
- Add the sugar, 1 cup of the heavy cream, the corn syrup, butter and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved completely, about 5 minutes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and clip a candy thermometer to the pan.
- Continue cooking at a medium boil, without stirring, until the temperature reaches 242F, 25-30 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the remaining 1 cup cream, letting the mixture continue to boil; stir.
- Boil without stirring until the temperature reaches 246F, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Add the vanilla and stir just to blend.
- Pour the caramel into the prepared pan.
- Do not scrape any caramel left on the bottom of the saucepan into your prepared pan – enjoy that by yourself, you deserve it!
- Set the baking pan on a rack to cool, then cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Invert the caramel slab onto a cutting board and peel off the foil.
- Using a sharp knife, score the caramel lengthwise into 9 strips and crosswise into 10.
- Cut through the slab.
- You will end up with 90 candies.
- Wrap each candy in cellophane and store at room temperature for up to 1 week, refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 1 month.