Off a Golden Crisco package. WOW! Are these good! My husband and I couldn't stop eating (I'm ashamed to admit). We omit the nuts, as our daughters are allergic to peanuts (and it is difficult to find nuts that are not cross-contaminated).
- 1 1⁄3 cups golden Crisco (or your fave shortening)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups large broken pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups walnut pieces
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Combine Crisco, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Beat with mixer on low speed 1 minute or until creamy.
- Add beaten eggs.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating on low speed about 1 minute, or just until blended.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping spoonfuls* (about 2 TBSP for each cookie) on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies, leaving about 7cm (3-inches) between cookies for spreading.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 10-12 minutes.
- Cookies wil appear soft and moist when baked, but firm upon cooling.
- Cool 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.
- *Smallercookies can be made using 15mL (1 TBSP) dough for each cookie; Bake 8-10 minutes; makes about 6 dozen cookies.