Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a variation on my CHEEZY POTATOE SOOP. Came up with this in order to use up some extra dried fruit and to make sure my trays this year looked a little different from prior offerings.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 5 teaspoons Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup almonds (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, finely diced
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer, beat eggs, Splenda and almond flavoring in medium bowl. Blend in in margarine and vanilla.
- Measure out the flour and combine 1 tablespoon with the diced apricots to get the fruit to separate into bits.
- Combine the rest of the flour with the baking powder and salt in small bowl. Stir into egg mixture. Fold in coconut, hazelnuts or almonds, and floured apricots.
- Spread batter evenly in greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
Thank you toni for a grand treat, I was into making these when when I remembered that I had used all of the coconut on something for DH. As I didn't feel like walking to the market in the snow for it I used 2/3 cup of flour to add some bulk and help hold it together. They look a bit different than yours but they taste wonderful and have a lovely flaky bottom side.