Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful chewy treat, great for kid's lunchboxes and they freeze well, these bars can also be baked in a 11x7-inch baking pan.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons maple extract (can use vanilla or 1 teaspoon each)
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut, chopped
- mini chocolate chips (optional) or nuts (optional)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the butter, Crisco shortening and brown sugar until smooth and creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add in egg and vanilla; beat well until combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture, oatmeal, chopped apples, coconut, nuts or chocolate chips (if using) mix well to combine.
- Spread into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until bars tests done.
- Cool and sift the confectioners sugar over top.
- Cut into squares.
Deliciously Moist! I did need to alter the recipe, as I only a can of apple pie filling. No apples within 25 miles of where I live. I added two eggs and a touch more oats, only half a cup of brown sugar. Still nice and sweet and super moist!! Keeper for sure!
These were very good and so moist. I used 1 tsp of maple extract and 1 tsp of vanilla.. This is a keeper. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I loved the texture of it (oatmeal and coconut), and three apples are a must. I cut back on the sugar from 1 1/4 to 1 cup, but it was still a bit too sweet for me. Maybe my apples were too sweet (mixture of gala, golden delicious, and can't remember the other one) so I may try it with tarter ones. I also used unsweetened coconut. I did not have maple extract so I used 1 tsp of vanilla. Tasted just right.