Recipe by Johnsdeere
This is a really yummy alternative to the traditional chex mix. I cannot recall where exactly I got this recipe from, I wish I could remember so that I can thank the person. I love the combination of sliced almond and almond extract...add the coconut...YUMMY! I was initially concerned with how sticky this would be however; it came out terrific. The original author gave this snack as a Christmas gift to neighbors and provided a cute little note "We made a list and "chexed" it twice, to be sure we included our neighbors so nice". I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
- 12 -15 ounces Rice Chex
- 2 cups coconut, shredded
- 2 cups almonds, sliced
- 1 cup Karo light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (you can use vanilla extract if you choose as well)
- salt, sprinkle (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl add the Rice Chex, shredded coconut and sliced almonds, put to the side.
- In a dutch oven combine the Karo corn syrup, butter, sugar, and salt and cook on medium heat, stiring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the baking soda and almond extract, stir until combined. (The mixture will get frothy and will expand in size, this is normal and what you want).
- Add your reserved dry ingredients to your wet mixture and stir lightly until the ingredients are combined.
- Spread the combined mixture onto waxed paper on your counter top.
- Allow mixture to cool for 1 hour or until the mixure is able to be packaged. (Or at least until your patience runs thin and you have to have just a nibble).