Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Inspired by the shores of southern India, these tasty chicken bites are ideal for a fast, fuss-free, al fresco supper. Serve with mint and cucumber raita. Tastes sublime!
For the Chettinad chicken bites
- 1 1⁄4 lbs skinless chicken breasts, cut into mini fillets
- 1 tablespoon thick low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon madras curry paste
For the Red Pepper Salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 10 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 ounces red peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 ounces red onions, sliced
- 1 lemon, juice
- of fresh mint, for garnish
- cooking spray (3 sprays of 1-cal )
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken with Madras paste and yoghurt.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. (For a more intense flavour, cover and refrigerate the marinated chicken for 2 hours or even overnight.)
- In a pan, spray some 1-cal oil and cook the marinated chicken on a medium flame for 7 mins, turning occasionally to prevent the chicken from burning.
- Alternatively cook the chicken on a hot griddle pan or bbq.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, spray some more 1-cal oil and add the mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add the red onions and black pepper. After a minute, add the desiccated coconut, red pepper, ginger and curry leaves (if using). Sprinkle in some water if the mixture starts to stick.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes Check the seasoning and add salt if required. Squeeze in the lemon juice before removing from the heat and garnish with some fresh chopped mint.