Recipe by Brian Holley
Chicken curry with a good range of ingredients, the poppy seeds give a nutty taste, this is one of my HOT curries. Deep flavoured and satisfying. Use as a main dish with rice and pappads.
- 2 tablespoons white poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 lb fresh coconut, grated
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 3 green cardamoms, opened at one end
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 10 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the poppy seeds in a dry pan till brown.Cool them and crush them. Soak them in a little water for 15 minutes.
- Grind the coconut, poppy seeds with the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, fennel seeds and turmeric to make aa paste.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions till golden, add the ginger and garlic cook for 2 minutes Add the chilli powder and the spice paste with 2 tbsp water, fry on low heat 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for 10 minutes Add the tomatoes.
- When the liquid has been absorbed add 2 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Cook uncovered till chicken is tender, add the lime juice, curry leaves and chopped coriander.