Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rich seasonal soup to make use of those chestnuts or to celebrate a special occasion. From VS To Ornish this recipe do not use Olive Oil but saute in a bit of broth or water. That simple. The fat free milk is already fat free and Ornish.
- 500 g fresh chestnuts
- 50 ml virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 500 ml skim milk
- 500 ml water
- If using fresh chestnuts roast, boil or grill and remove skins when cool. You may used canned also.
- Saute the bay leaf and onions in a pan in the olive oil until golden, then add the chestnuts, salt, pepper, sage and cook for a few minutes.
- continue to cook adding the milk and water and bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree with a food processor or blender with a blender until smooth. Note is using something like a stick blender you do not have to remove from the pan.
- Return to the pan and add additional water to create soup consistency to your preference.
- salt and pepper to taste.