Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From St. Louis Post-Dispatch - 11-30-1998.
- 2 lbs chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 dash black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make two 1/2-inch slits with a sharp knife in the shell of each chestnut.
- Place chestnuts and oil in a deep saucepan; cook slowly for 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently.
- Transfer chestnuts to a baking sheet; bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove; let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, melted butter, onion, salt, parsley and pepper.
- Remove chestnut shells and skins with the aid of a sharp knife.
- Mash the nuts; add to other ingredients.
- Use as stuffing for a turkey.