Chef #784013's Note:
Adapted from Epicurious. The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup heavy cream but I leave it out. Also: I use dry/cooking sherry instead of Sercial Madeira, vacuum packed roasted and peeled chestnuts available at the Korean grocery store, and vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth in the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 parsley sprigs, flat-leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups whole chestnuts, crumbled (peeled and cooked, either from a jar or vacuum packed)
- 1/4 cup sherry wine, dry
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Melt butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 2Stir in celery, carrot, and onion.
- 3Cover surface of vegetables with a buttered round of wax paper or parchment (buttered side down) and cover pan with lid, then sweat vegetables on low heat 15 minutes (to soften).
- 4Wrap parsley, cloves, and bay leaf in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with string to make a bouquet garni.
- 5Discard buttered paper from vegetables, then add broth and bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- 7Add chestnuts and Madeira and simmer, covered, 3 minutes.
- 8Purée soup in small batches (4 or 5) in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan.
- 9Add pepper and salt to taste and reheat soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally.
- 10Cooks' note: Soup can be made 2 days ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.6
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 19.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth