Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Modified from The Complete Vegetarian Cuisine by Rose Elliot
Make and share this Chestnut Roast Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 lbs chestnuts, cooked and peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- fresh dry whole wheat breadcrumbs (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- dried breadcrumbs
- Melt butter [Vegan use oil] and saute the onion and celery over mod heat until soft but not brown. Approx 10 minutes. [for low fat use water or broth in place of this but stir more and watch carefully].
- Transfer onions to bowl. Add chestnuts. Mix.
- Mash this, the onions and the celery then add parsley, lemon juice and garlic.
- Mix should form roll but be soft. If needed add bread crumbs. Season with salt or Mrs Dash and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place some oil into roasting pan and place in oven to heat.
- FOrm the chestnut mix into a roll about 8" long, press it together carefully then coat with dried breadcrumbs. Put in roasting pan and carefully turn so that it is coated in hot oil. Baste with the oil as it cooks.
- Bake 45 minutes or until crisp on outside [if it is crisp inside we got problems]. Slice to serve.