2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 20 mins
If I could choose anything I wanted to do, it would be to have a chestnut farm. This is an absolutely awesome recipe -- and every time I make it, the bowl is picked half empty by everyone before I even get it into the oven. I posted my cornbread recipe "Perfect Cornbread" #96862, specifically for inclusion in this recipe. This was originally posted in Gourmet Magazine. It is not a quick recipe, but it is not difficult to make and is WELL worth the effort! Preparation time does not include making the cornbread recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 loaves cornbread (I use my Perfect Cornbread Perfect Cornbread)
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 shallots, cut lengthwise into 6 ths
- 5 leeks, white and pale green parts only halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, packed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaf, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 lb whole chestnuts, vacuum-packed or canned
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F Prepare cornbread ahead of time from Perfect Cornbread Perfect Cornbread, or your own.
- 2Cut cornbread into 1/2" cubes.
- 3In 2 large shallow baking pans, bake in the middle of the oven until just dry, about 20 minutes.
- 4Using only white and pale green parts of the leeks, halve them lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2" thick pieces.
- 5In a large heavy skillet cook red onions, shallots, leeks, celery and herbs with salt and pepper to taste, in butter over moderate heat; stirring, until onion mixture is golden brown and softened-- about 25 minutes.
- 6If using canned chestnuts, rinse and drain.
- 7In a saucepan simmer vacuum-packed or canned chestnuts in 2 cups of chicken broth for 15 minutes.
- 8In a large bowl, toss together bread, onions, chestnut mixture and remaining 1 1/2 cups of broth, with salt and pepper to taste, and let cool completely.
- 9(Stuffing may be made ahead up to 1 day before and chilled, covered-- bring stuffing to room temperature before proceeding).
- 10To cook all or part of stuffing outside of poultry: In a shallow baking dish bake stuffing in preheated 325F oven 45 minutes.
- 11For moist stuffing, bake covered entire time; for less moist stuffing with a slightly crisp top, uncover halfway through baking time.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnut, Onion and Cornbread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.3
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 359.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves