Recipe by JenPo
I'm still on a chestnut kick. This recipe is from Nigella Lawson. I love the flavor combinations she comes up with. The cook time includes 1 day refrigeration, because this needs to be made a day in advance.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sweetened chestnut puree ("heaped")
- 2 cups fat free cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened chestnut puree
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon sweetened chestnut puree
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the crackers, butter and heaped tablespoon chestnut purée in a food processor and pulse fine and crumbly. Press into the bottom of a 9-in springform pan and refrigerate until needed.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth and add the sugar. Blend in the eggs and egg yolks, one by one to combine completely. Add the sour cream, lime juice, rum, and vanilla, and beat again until smooth and creamy. Fold in the 1 cup chestnut purée by hand. It doesn't have to be fully incorporated, because it will give it a swirl or streak effect.
- Boil some water and keep it ready.
- Wrap the whole outside of the springform pan with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil, covering the plastic wrap to make the pan watertight. Stand the pan in a roasting pan and pour in the chestnut filling. Once that's done, pour the boiled water into the roasting pan to come just over an inch up the side of the pan. Bake 1 hour.
- The cheesecake should be just set because it will continue cooking in the pan outside of the oven. Take the springform pan out of the roasting pan and the foil and plastic wrap and cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold it and let it come to room temperature for about 20-30 minutes. (You can unmold it and return it to the refrigerator, just remember to bring it back to room temp in time.).
- Combine the remaining ingredients (water, rum, chestnut puree, sugar, and butter) in a saucepan and melt together. Let the syrup boil 10 minutes, then cool to room temperature until ready to use.
- To serve, drizzle room temperature or slightly warmed syrup over cheesecake.