Recipe by mollypaul
Elegant start to a lovely dinner.
Top Review by Akita
Umm yum yum. Where I live, chestnuts are imported, expensive and def not to be wasted in less-than-delicious recipes. This soup combines many flavors and I was surprised how well it worked. I will definetely be making this again as a starter. Adaptions: Vegetable stock instead of chicken, dried celery and parsley instead of fresh. Fresh tarragon instead of dried. The dish could have looked fresher -came out beige (the only reason I am not rating 5star). I will add some red pepper next time to improve the color.
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb fresh chestnuts, peeled
- 3 cups chicken bouillon
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- nonfat sour cream (optional) or yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, and celery, and saute until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add chestnuts and continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add apple juice, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add tarragon and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender.
- Return to saucepan and reheat.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, if desired.