Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious gravy that really adds flavour to dishes. It is particularly good for vegetable based dishes. It can be made ahead and stored overnight.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 600 ml red wine
- 59.14 ml fresh thyme
- 29.58 ml dried marjoram
- 1700 ml good quality vegetable stock
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml yeast extract
- 340 g chestnuts
- Heat the oil and fry the carrot, celery, leek and half the onion over a low heat until soft.
- Add bay leaves, wine, herbs and stock. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain gravy into a jug and discard the veg. Add soy and yeast extract (season with a good twist of black pepper if desired) and return to the pan.
- Add the chestnuts and remaining onion to the gravy and simmer for 10 minutes.
Sooo delicious. I made it at night and served the next day over roasted butternut squash.