1 hr 35 mins
This cake is from Abilgail Kirsch's book Invitiation to Dinner. If you like chestnuts you will love this cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup almonds, skinless
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 lb resh chestnuts or 1 cup unsweetened chestnut puree
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup espresso
- 1 pinch salt
Mocha Whipped Cream
- 1For the Cake:Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a knife blade and pulse until the nuts are finely ground.
- 2Set aside in a small dish.
- 3Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 4Butter and flour 2 9" round cake pans.
- 5If you are using fresh chestnuts, place them in a saucepan with water to cover.
- 6Simmer the chestnuts until they are tender, about 40 minutes.
- 7BE sure to keep the water level over the chestnuts as they cook.
- 8Drain the chestnuts, reserving 1 cup of the liquid, and set aside 6 whole nuts.
- 9When they are cool enough to handle, peel the skin with a paring knife.
- 10Puree the chestnuts in the bowl of a food processor and remove the puree to a small bowl.
- 11If you need more liquid, add some of the reserved cooking liquid.
- 12The puree should be as stiff as peanut butter.
- 13Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium spped for 5 minutes or until the mixture forms ribbons when you raise the beater from the batter.
- 14On low speed, blend in the chestnut puree, almonds, vanilla and espresso.
- 15With the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites in a bowl of your electric mixer with the pinch of salt until they form soft peaks.
- 16Do not overbeat.
- 17Add 1/4 of the whites to the egg yolk batter and blend well; carefully fold in the remaining egg whites until you have a fluffy batter.
- 18Fill the cake pans evenly with the batter.
- 19Gently rap the pans on the counter to settle the batter.
- 20Bake the cake layers on the center rack of the oven for about 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 21Allow the cakes to cool 10 minuts in their pans, then invert them onto wire cooling racks.
- 22Place 1 cake layer on a large round cake platter.
- 23Frost the sides and top of the bottom layer with Mocha Whipped Cream.
- 24Place the top layer over the cream and frost the rest of the cake.
- 25Cut the reserved whole chestnuts in half and arrange them over the cake.
- 26Chill the cake at least 1 hoiur.
- 27Remove it from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
- 28For the Mocha Whipped Cream:Combine the cream, chocolate and espresso in a heavy saucepan.
- 29Cook, stirring, over moderate heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture thickened.
- 30Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer and refrigerate until the mocha cream has chilled, about 30 minutes.
- 31Whip the cream until stiff.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnut Almond Espresso Cake with Mocha Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.6
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 243.9 mg
- Sodium 133.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 12.5 g