1 hr 22 mins
1 hr 7 mins
Corn is a quintessential ingredient in dishes throughout Latin American. This casserole is less dense and more souffle-like than similar versions made in the American South, but still has a flavor that's sure to please a crowd. It can be served as a main dish or side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lb corn kernel
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites seperated
- 8 ounces jarlsberg cheese or 8 ounces a similar white melting cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F In a small frying pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and warm the oil. Add the onions and saute until soft, stirring occasionally so they don't brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool until lukewarm.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder, and set the mixture aside.
- 3In a blender or food processor, puree the corn with the milk. Blend in the egg yolks and then combine this mixture, along with the cheese and onions, with the dry ingredients.
- 4In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. carefully fold the egg whites into the corn mixture, and then pour it into a 7x11-inch buttered and floured baking dish.
- 5Sprinkle the casserole with Parmesan and bake it in the middle of the oven until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Serves 6 as a main dish, 12 as a side dish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chessy Corn Casserole from Paraguay
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.8
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 147.4 mg
- Sodium 565.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 20.5 g