Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This tomatoey onioney meatloaf is my family's favorite comfort food. When mixing raw meat with my hands, I like to measure everything out before i begin so I do not contaminate containers. I like to prepare it and place in loaf pan the night before so it binds well. I add the ketchup just before I put it in the oven.
- Use your hands to mix eggs and beef in a large bowl.
- Mix diced tomato into to beef, squeezing the tomatoes as you do.
- Add onions and continue mixing.
- Continue mixing and add breadcrumbs little by little until you achieve desired texture (1/2 cup-1 cup).
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Pack firmly into one large or two small loaf pans (I like to refridgerate over night at this point if I have the time).
- Top with ketchup and place in oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours or until center temperature reads 170 degrees.
My husband used to love all meat loaf but not after trying this one. It is now the only meat loaf that he will eat!! The preparation is just so quick and it is no problem leaving it in the fridge overnight - if my husband does not know that it is in there!! I made up a batch on Monday and put it into three mini loaf pans and one larger pan, cooked it up on Tuesday and on Wednesday, I am the Queen of Meatloaf!! I handed out the mini loaves to friends at work to rave reviews. Five Star Meatloaf!!
will make it soon, love french fried onions