Recipe by Chef Chessie
This tomatoey onioney meatloaf is my family's favorite comfort food. When mixing raw meat with my hands, I like to measure everything out before i begin so I do not contaminate containers. I like to prepare it and place in loaf pan the night before so it binds well. I add the ketchup just before I put it in the oven.
- 2 lbs ground beef (I use 12-15% fat)
- 1 egg
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup French's French fried onions
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Use your hands to mix eggs and beef in a large bowl.
- Mix diced tomato into to beef, squeezing the tomatoes as you do.
- Add onions and continue mixing.
- Continue mixing and add breadcrumbs little by little until you achieve desired texture (1/2 cup-1 cup).
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Pack firmly into one large or two small loaf pans (I like to refridgerate over night at this point if I have the time).
- Top with ketchup and place in oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours or until center temperature reads 170 degrees.