Recipe by laura.marchiori
There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of recipes for crab cakes – every crab-loving family has their favorite. What we present here is a basic, traditional and delicious recipe made with the finest grade crab meat.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup of finely broken cracker crumb (use a high quality cracker with a delicate flavor for the best results)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons chesapeake Old Bay Seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Jumbo Lump Crabmeat should have very few pieces of shell, however you should pick through it carefully and remove any pieces you see (or feel). Handle the crabmeat gently as you do this. Place the crabmeat in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the fine cracker crumbs over it tossing very gently until the crabmeat is covered evenly.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg and add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, bay seasoning and ground pepper. Wisk these ingredients together until the mix is a bit frothy. Pour the mix over the crab meat and gently toss until well mixed. Form the crab cakes by hand taking care not to over handle or pack too tightly – the cakes should be as loose as possible while still holding their shape. (If the cakes are not holding their shape, you can add additional cracker crumbs, but try to add as little as possible). This mix will yield 4 large crab cakes or 6 slightly smaller ones (8 appetizer size).
- Sauté the crab cakes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil until golden brown on both sides (8 to 10 minutes). You can also broil the crab cakes if you prefer, 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon slices or tartar sauce and enjoy!