Southern Maryland style Fried Chicken. I've used John Shields recipe for fried chicken for "Special Occasions" for many years now. The recipe requires marinating, then flouring and finally frying. I usually cook for a family of ten so this is a large recipe for a crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 lbs , wings and thighs.. (or any part you like)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used un-bleached mostly)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal or 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- buttermilk to cover the chicken
- 6 garlic cloves, opened (or more)
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon about 10 splashes of good hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons salt (or more)
- 1 cup oil
- 11.Wash and pat your chicken dry
- 22.Combine your spices( except the pepper corns), season and Rub most of it on the chicken. I usually set aside 3-4 Tablespoons to go into the flour before I season the chicken.
- 33.Place the chicken in a large bowl if you haven't already and cover with buttermilk and drop in your garlic, pepper corns and your hot sauce if you're using it.
- 44. Cover and place in the frig. for 1-2 hours or overnight is best.
- 55. When the chicken is finished marinating. Get your flour and breadcrumbs mixed with some of the reserved seasoning -- taste for saltiness. If you want add just another teaspoon of salt.
- 66. Heat up you oil to 375 degrees -- you'll know it's there when an old piece of bread gets crisp within seconds of hitting the oil.
- 77. Begin Taking your chicken from the marinade, letting the most of it run off and begin dropping the chicken into the flour mixture.I use a large paper bag for this most of the time. Set aside on a plate until your oil is ready. once it's ready.
- 88.Get out your tongs and start placing the biggest pieces first and let them fry up to an amber brown.
- 99. This recipe has a lot of spices in it and it cooks up darker than other recipes -- fast. so keep your oil at a steady temperature. If you notice the chicken getting dark too fast lower the temperature -- wait a few and start again.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chesapeake Bay Style Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.3
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1397.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning