Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Southern Maryland style Fried Chicken. I've used John Shields recipe for fried chicken for "Special Occasions" for many years now. The recipe requires marinating, then flouring and finally frying. I usually cook for a family of ten so this is a large recipe for a crowd.
- 8 -10 lbs , wings and thighs.. (or any part you like)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used un-bleached mostly)
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal or 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- buttermilk to cover the chicken
- 6 garlic cloves, opened (or more)
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon about 10 splashes of good hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons salt (or more)
- 1 cup oil
- 1.Wash and pat your chicken dry
- 2.Combine your spices( except the pepper corns), season and Rub most of it on the chicken. I usually set aside 3-4 Tablespoons to go into the flour before I season the chicken.
- 3.Place the chicken in a large bowl if you haven't already and cover with buttermilk and drop in your garlic, pepper corns and your hot sauce if you're using it.
- 4. Cover and place in the frig. for 1-2 hours or overnight is best.
- 5. When the chicken is finished marinating. Get your flour and breadcrumbs mixed with some of the reserved seasoning -- taste for saltiness. If you want add just another teaspoon of salt.
- 6. Heat up you oil to 375 degrees -- you'll know it's there when an old piece of bread gets crisp within seconds of hitting the oil.
- 7. Begin Taking your chicken from the marinade, letting the most of it run off and begin dropping the chicken into the flour mixture.I use a large paper bag for this most of the time. Set aside on a plate until your oil is ready. once it's ready.
- 8.Get out your tongs and start placing the biggest pieces first and let them fry up to an amber brown.
- 9. This recipe has a lot of spices in it and it cooks up darker than other recipes -- fast. so keep your oil at a steady temperature. If you notice the chicken getting dark too fast lower the temperature -- wait a few and start again.