Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'I Love Crab Cakes!' by Tom Douglas
Make and share this Chesapeake Bay Classic Crab Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion, both white and green parts
- 1 lb lump blue crabmeat, drained and picked clean of shell
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, about
- 4 lemon wedges
- Add the yolk, Old Bay, mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vinegar to the bowl of a food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Gradually pour in the oil with the machine running until the mixture emulsifies and forms a mayonnaise.
- Season with the salt and pepper (this quantity of mayonnaise will not emulsify in the bowl of the largest food processor; use a medium food processor, a mini processor, or a blender).
- Transfer the mayonnaise to a bowl and, using a rubber spatula, fold in the scallions and the crabmeat until well combined.
- Combine the bread crumbs and the parsley in a shallow container.
- Form the crab mixture into 8 patties about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick and drop them into the bread crumb mixture.
- Dredge the crab cakes on both sides; if you have time, leave the crab cakes in the container of bread crumbs, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for an hour or so.
- When you are ready to fry the crab cakes, put 2 large nonstick skillets over medium heat.
- Add about 2 tablespoons butter to each pan; when the butter is melted, add 4 crab cakes to each pan, patting off excess crumbs first.
- Slowly fry the cakes until they are golden brown on both sides and hot through, turning once with a spatula, about 4 minutes per side.
- If the crab cakes are browning too quickly, reduce the heat.
- The internal temperature of a cooked crab cake should be 155° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer the crab cakes to plates, 2 per person, and serve with your choice of sauce and lemon wedges.