Recipe by cherber
This is a recipe I made up in desperation, with some stock given to me by my aunt along with left over turkey. This recipe makes about 4 cups of soup. You may substitute whatever green vegetable you like in place of the green beans, but I think it gives a nice mild taste to the soup. Also, the brown rice in the recipe means uncooked brown rice. If you have leftover cooked rice, you may substitute, but only need to add it in the last 5 minutes of cooking along with the turkey.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium leek
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cooked turkey
- 2 ounces white mushrooms
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan then add the diced vegetables with the exception of the mushroom and the green beans.
- Cook vegetables including garlic over medium heat, until the onion is transparent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms sweat.
- Add stock and the bay leaves, and the brown rice and simmer for approx 25 minutes.
- Add chopped green beans and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the thyme and sage and the cooked turkey meat. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Check the seasoning.