Recipe by HeatherFeather
This delicious quick bread recipe is very moist and very sweet- more like a cake than a bread. A former neighbor of mine shared this recipe with me after we received a loaf as a holiday gift. Thank you Cheryl!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less, I use half)
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter flavor extract
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavor extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease and flour two regular size loaf pans.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, eggs, and oil.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk into the egg mixture, mixing between each addition by hand.
- Stir in poppyseeds (yes, it really is 1 1/2 Tbsp) and flavorings.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake at 350 F for 1 hour, or until cake tests done (you may need another 15 minutes baking time).
- When baked, set the loaf pans on a rack (leaving loaves in pans).
- Combine glaze ingredients and pour all over the still warm loaves (if you like, poke holes in the surface with a skewer before pouring glaze so that it leaks into the bread).
- The center of the bread will be very, very moist- almost wet from the glaze.