Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This delicious quick bread recipe is very moist and very sweet- more like a cake than a bread. A former neighbor of mine shared this recipe with me after we received a loaf as a holiday gift. Thank you Cheryl!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less, I use half)
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter flavor extract
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease and flour two regular size loaf pans.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, eggs, and oil.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk into the egg mixture, mixing between each addition by hand.
- Stir in poppyseeds (yes, it really is 1 1/2 Tbsp) and flavorings.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake at 350 F for 1 hour, or until cake tests done (you may need another 15 minutes baking time).
- When baked, set the loaf pans on a rack (leaving loaves in pans).
- Combine glaze ingredients and pour all over the still warm loaves (if you like, poke holes in the surface with a skewer before pouring glaze so that it leaks into the bread).
- The center of the bread will be very, very moist- almost wet from the glaze.
This was delicious, HeatherFeather! The glaze with the hiont of orange is so good! Very Moist!Thanks so much for this recipe.
Heather! This recipe is wonderful, my family really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it. I did make some adjustments to the recipe...I added the zest of two oranges into the cake mixture. That gave the cake a nice tinge of orange. Something I like with poppy seeds. And i I baked the cake in a bundt. It took exactly 1hr and it was ready. Great golden brown on the outside...and really nice and moist inside. This is a real keeper.
My family loves sweet breads and this is one of our favorites. We've been making this recipe for over 20 years and it always is a hit. Much better than those muffins you see in the stores and very easy.