This is my own version of a sour cream chicken lightened up to fit more into our families needs.
Make and share this Cheryl's Healthy & Light Sour Cream Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 ounces nonfat sour cream, Penn Maid
- 10 3⁄4 ounces 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 25 ritz whole wheat crackers
- 1⁄2 cup light butter, melted, I use Keller's Light Stick Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with Olive Oil cooking spray (I use a glass pyrex dish).
- Chop up the chicken into bite sized pieces trimming the excess fat and brown over medium heat in the olive oil. Add oregano, basil (if using for flavor), salt and pepper. Stir until chicken looks cooked through.
- When the chicken is done, pour into your prepared pan and spread it out so that it's even.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sour cream and the soup. Spoon this mixture over the chicken spreading it out to cover.
- Place the crackers in a Ziploc bag and crush to fine crumbs. Spread the crackers over the chicken/soup mixture.
- Spoon the melted butter over the crackers.
- Bake until top is golden brown, approximately 20-30 minutes.
This was outstanding - mostly because my hubby couldn't tell it was healthy. He said, "How could I not like something that's so creamy and cheesy." Well, I hadn't added any cheese... that's just how good it was. The only changes I made was to use wheat saltine crackers since that's all I had in the pantry and I didn't use any oil to cook the chicken in. I think the next time I will try different spices on the chicken...taco seasoning would be great. I love when my hubby tells me that I have to make a dish again... he said that at dinner last night between mmmmmm sounds :) Thank you for posting this healthy recipe!
Great simple recipe. Family loved it, and it baked up so quick. I made it to the letter, and the whole time I was wanting to mix in some vegetables. I decided not to, and the result was surprisingly good. Just make sure to serve some on the side. :) Sauce was tasty, and didn't need much seasonings. I was worried about it being too bland, but the taste of the sour cream really balanced it out. I used less than 1/2 cup butter. Will make this again, but I'll probably tweak it a little. Thanks for posting!
Oh my gosh! I seriously had to tear myself away from the pan! This was so good!!! The only thing I did differently was to add a can of mushrooms to the sauce mixture. This is a new family favorite for sure! Oh.........and it's so easy too! woo hoo!