Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Nice comfort food! Source: Shadows Wife. If you are looking for a yellow kid pleasing mac & cheese this is not it. This is a more adult type dish.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (or 1/2 lb mixture each of both Italian sausages) or 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (or 1/2 lb mixture each of both Italian sausages)
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain; rinse with cold water; drain again.
- In a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausages until well browned on all sides and cooked through, turning frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Remove sausages to cutting board.
- In drippings remaining in the skillet over medium heat, cook pepper and onion until tender, about 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- When sausages are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1/2-inch-thick slices; add to bowl with vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 12x8-inch baking dish.
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour; cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk gradually.
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheeses, Tabasco, garlic and salt until cheese melts.
- Stir frequently.
- In a large bowl combine the sausage, macaroni, and cheese sauce.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly.
Wasn't very cheesey I think I'd perfer it beter if I just mixed the cheese in with the hot pasta instead of melting it. My lil ones ate it so it was just what I needed tonight
Good macaroni and cheese dish. We like addition of the green pepper and the tabasco sauce in this recipe. Very easy to make. Thanks for sharing this recipe Chef Shadows. Made for My-3-Chefs.