This is a recipe based on one my Grandmother and mother used to make. You may use either water or low sodium chicken broth to make this. I used water tonight, and it was still delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 celery rib
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 medium swede
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 6 cups water or 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper, to taste
- 1Prepare your vegetables by chopping the celery, onion and garlic coarsely. Slice carrots into circles, and slice potatoes into med sized chunks.
- 2Halve the swede (the vegetable, not the nationality) and slice into medium sized slices.
- 3Put 2 tbsps of the flour, black pepper and onion powder into a plate, and dust chicken with this mixture.
- 4Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot and add butter over med high heat.
- 5Add chicken pieces and reduce heat to medium.
- 6Brown the chicken pieces.
- 7Add chopped onion and celery and garlic cloves to the pot and cook over medium heat until the onion is transparent.
- 8Bring the water to a boil and add to the pot.
- 9Reduce the heat to a simmer, and simmer chicken for approximately 10 minutes.
- 10Add the swede slices and carrots to the mixture and increase heat to medium high.
- 11Add the bay leaf and the thyme.
- 12Boil the veg in this broth with the chicken until the swede slices just start turning tender.
- 13Remove chicken pieces and reserve.
- 14Add potato chunks and boil broth with veg for another 12 minutes. Add green beans and cook for 8 more minutes. If the stew looks too watery, add a little flour and water paste using the reserved flour.
- 15Add chicken pieces back to the stew and simmer until all the vegetables are cooked.
- 16Serve with hot biscuits or sliced bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheryl's Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (624 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.7
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 69.2 mg
- Sodium 121.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 17.8 g