Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cherry Winks Cookies from Kellog's Corn Flakes Box
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup corn flakes, crushed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped or 1 cup raisins, not chopped
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- cherries, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- Combine shortening and sugar, cream.
- Add eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Sift together dry ingredients, and slowly blend in.
- Mix well.
- Add nuts, cherries or raisins and mix well.
- Shape into balls using a level teaspoon of dough for each cookie.
- Roll ball in crushed cornflakes.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Top with ½ cherry and press the cherry down a bit.
- Bake at 375 deg F for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
My mother makes these every Christmas and hides a large container of them for her personal enjoyment. I've grown to like them, even though I don't usually eat dates, because they're addictive.