Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a 1950 Pillsbury BAKE-OFF Contest winner favorite!
Make and share this Cherry Winks recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup chopped maraschino cherry, well drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed corn flakes cereal
- 15 maraschino cherries, quartered,drained
- Heat oven to 375*.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, milk, vanilla and eggs; beat well.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pecans, dates and 1/3 cup chopped cherries; mix well.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for easier handling (about 1/2 hour).
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into cereal; thoroughly coat.
- Form into balls; place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Lightly press maraschino cherry piece into top of each ball.
- Bake at 375* for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Yield: 5 dozen cookies.
If you're searching for an easy, festive, nostalgic Christmas cookie recipe, look no further. I cut the recipe in half. Used equal parts pecans and walnuts, unbleached flour. Spectrum Naturals' brand shortening for standard Crisco. I found Corn Flakes in bulk and buying them that way reduced the cost significantly. The cookies were made a little bigger because I used a cookie scoop (greased) to form the dough which meant they were baked a full 15 minutes. I don't ever remember tasting Cherry Winks before and this was a real treat! Thanks, Sharon!
great cookie darlene loves these
Great cherry wink recipe! I did modify it a bit. I only used 1/2 c. pecans and 1/2. of dates since that's all I had. I agree that the cornflakes were a nice crunch to the outside. This cookie even froze ok, although it wasn't in the freezer for more than 3 days!