Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband was at a client's house and she served these to him. He loved them and asked her for the recipe so I could make them. Neither of us like dates or cherries, but we love these cookies.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, very finely crushed
- maraschino cherry, chopped (optional)
- In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and granulated sugar.
- Blend in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Add the milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Carefully add the chopped dates, nuts and 1/3 cup cherries and mix well.
- Chill dough for about 1 hour so it is easier to roll into balls.
- Shape dough into small balls using a level tablespoon for each cookie.
- Roll each ball into the crushed cornflakes.
- Place on greased baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top each cookie with 1/4 of a cherry, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
These cookies are special, one of the bests. They're addictive. We can't stop eating them LOL They have a really good taste. I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup splenda. I used pecans. Thanks Lainey. Made for Newest Zaar tag