Recipe by Lainey39
My husband was at a client's house and she served these to him. He loved them and asked her for the recipe so I could make them. Neither of us like dates or cherries, but we love these cookies.
Top Review by Boomette
These cookies are special, one of the bests. They're addictive. We can't stop eating them LOL They have a really good taste. I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup splenda. I used pecans. Thanks Lainey. Made for Newest Zaar tag
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, very finely crushed
- maraschino cherry, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and granulated sugar.
- Blend in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Add the milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Carefully add the chopped dates, nuts and 1/3 cup cherries and mix well.
- Chill dough for about 1 hour so it is easier to roll into balls.
- Shape dough into small balls using a level tablespoon for each cookie.
- Roll each ball into the crushed cornflakes.
- Place on greased baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top each cookie with 1/4 of a cherry, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.